Friday, October 10, 2008

Into the Ether

There are few things more valuable to me than my first cup of coffee in the morning. Turns out, it may be worth even more than I thought.

Here's a quote from today's edition of The Detroit News

"You can buy two shares of Ford stock this morning for the price of a jumbo latte at Biggby Coffee."

Wow. I'm drinking a jumbo-sized cup of Biggby coffee right now... I better sip it and make it last.

We don't have much money invested in the stock market... and I haven't looked to see how much less it is today than it was last week. No point in making myself crazy.

But I'm thinking about my parents, and my husband's parents, and their retirement income... and how they may not have enough time to recover their losses.

I mean, when the market loses a trillion dollars in value in one week, where does that money go? How can can a trillion dollars (I don't even know how many zeroes that is) just disappear into the ether?

It hurts my head to think about it. I think I'm going to go make myself another cup of Ford stock, and take a hot bath.

1 comment:

Watty said...

I've never had Bigby coffee, though I've gotten coupons what seems like weekly (Starbucks on the other hand....droool)

I heard on the radio today there talking about how we could buy ford stock or a footlong from Subway and still have a dollar left to go purchase a large coke from mcdonalds. That of course made me want Subway. And now I want coffee! lol