Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Easter in October

Birthdays are to me are like high holy days are to Catholics.

First there's all the fuss... party, people, presents. And what self-respecting attention-loving Libra doesn't like parties, people, and presents? Bring on the noise makers, people... life is short.

But it's also the only time of the year that I feel free to navel gaze, be introspective, and catalog the changes in my mind and my body... without feeling guilty. In the weeks before my birthday, I can convince myself that I am an anthropologist as I count the crows feet; that I am doing research when I gut check all of my current insecurites; that I am a historian as I take stock of the choices I've made, and the changes they've wrought. In other words, I save all my heavy lifting until the last few weeks of my natal year.

But then, when the actual day dawns, and the birthday hoedown swings into life, it's like biting the ears off the chocolate Easter bunny after Lent. It's all sparklers and confetti.

This has been a wonderful year for me, by the way. And I have lots of thoughts about the year that came before... in addition to the current count on the crows feet... many of which may be the fodder for future blog posts.

But since this is my first day of being 44, I'm still in celebration mode. And boy, do I have a lot to celebrate. Life is beautiful when there's love in it.

So my birthday wish for all of YOU is a big, fat, dark chocolate Easter bunny with really bite-able ears... it sure takes the sting out of the crows feet.